Monday, August 31, 2009

Bird Netting - Essential Task

As we have moved to veriasion, here in Missouri our red grapes must be bird netted. A fortunate thing is that I have a commercial on-line store that sells bird netting, and other landscape products. The bulk of my sales is bird netting.

Over the years I have had my losses from birds eating my grapes. On year, the birds wiped out about 75% of my grapes, other years, I had very little left. In 2007, I figured out the iron-clad method of bird netting. That is using S hooks to secure the trunks and poles in the vineyard. Here is a link to my website that actually has a step by step tutorial :

http://www.amigoni.com/netting_process_in_vineyards.pdf



Unfortunately we have to net our vineyards, however, since we will be hanging the red grapes until the first or second week in October, we need a secure way of protecting our investment.

See ya.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks very much for the conversation on the phone today, when I ordered the 750' of bird netting from you. I've had ~400 Pinot Noir vines here in Oregon in my own little hobby vineyard in the Chehalem Mountains AVA. Here are the pros in the area here: www.chehalemmountains.org. Anyway, I've lost 1/3 to 2/3 of my small harvest each of the past 5 years, losing it to birds as we waited as our grapes ripened, and I'd had enough of it. And thanks for all the information on your website regarding application technique for the netting. I'd rather learn from others, than start from scratch. Thanks for sharing. Piacere!

Anonymous said...

I saw the blog it is a nice site to visit netting bird, it was a lot of fun reading the blog. In fact, netting bird is an interesting destination i.e. covered by many websites.

Anonymous said...

In fact we bought bird netting too, I had a couple of small tomatoes ruined by birdie beaks. Early on there were a couple of nice peppers and a few Juliet (grape) tomatoes - but the hail damaged many plants so might not get any tomatoes.

petersteel said...

that was nice to read this ..that was great to read this.. for more information regarding netting bird ,bird control,bird repellents,pest bird control,spike bird u can visithttp://www.usabirdcontrol.com/